Washington DC is the home of the executive, judicial and legislative arm of the government. What could be a better place to consider for kid friendly vacations? A misguided impression that most people have is that Washington is filled with nothing but stuffy politicians who sole obsessions are polls and ratings. None of this is true. At the heart of Washington is a thriving city filled with attractive locations and vacation packages that make it a great choice for a family holiday. There are dozens of things to do during your visit—things that your kids and family will enjoy doing. Some of these include;
- Visit the Smithsonian Museums: Stop by the Smithsonian and watch the eyes of your kids light up as you take them on a history tour that will itself become historical. The large collection of museums is a popular favorite with families. There’s a zero charge admission fee and lots of exciting things to see. Popular places to stop at Smithsonian include the Air and space museum and the Museum of Natural History where you’ll find the kid-friendly Hall of Paleobiology.
- Visit the National Mall: The National Mall is a great place to visit if you wish to while away the time and keep your interest spiked. It spans over a walking distance of 5 miles so be sure to wear comfortable shoes. The National Mall is a popular destination of most tourists and is reportedly visited by over 20 million tourists every year. Be sure to take your camera with you and get some really amazing shots.
- National Zoological Park: Kids go giddy around animals and entry into the National Zoological Park is free. What’s there not to love? Connected to the Smithsonian, the National Zoological Park is a great place to visit if you’re looking for a fun way of spending the afternoon. There are over 2000 different animals within the zoo as well as a couple of children play areas to visit.
- Visit the Lincoln Memorial: Based on its size alone, the Lincoln Memorial is a ‘Larger than Life’ experience that your kids will actually love. Visit the monument of one of the country’s most loved experience and read his famous speeches. The memorial of Honest Abe is visited by millions of people every year. More importantly, admission to the memorial is free, which is a great option for families looking for budget-friendly vacation packages.
- Washington Monument: It’s a pretty popular and distinct landmark so a visit to the Washington Monument is a good way of spending the day with your kids. At one point considered to the tallest structure in the world, you can take a ride to the top of the obelisk and enjoy an impressive view of the surrounding city. Like most monuments across Washington, admission is usually free.
Finding affordable accommodation options at Washington DC is not difficult. There are dozens of hotels with vacation packages that you can consider for your holiday. Washington DC is top on most families list of kid friendly vacations. Be sure to make your reservations early to avoid the season traffic.
A National Park that was constructed in late 1800s, the Yellowstone National Park is the first ever Nation Park of America. It has been a favourite destination for all the members in a family. The park is famous for many things apart from the Yellowstone lake being the largest high altitude lake in America.
Things to do & know about the Park are:
- Backcountry Hiking & Biking: By gaining a Backcountry Use Permit any tourist is allowed to stay overnight in the National Park. The campsites are made to make the stay of the people pleasant and safe from the bears. Since the Park has been affected with fires and Bear attacks they have rules that every person staying at the campsite has to follow for ex. The occupancy should not be for more than 1-3 days at a stretch, Campfires have designated places and wood fires are not allowed, food supplies are locked up in special storages for every campsite so that it is safe from attracting bears. There are many guidelines that are mentioned while granting permit to hikers to hike in the bear country.
They are very particular about preserving Natural resources that they have rules about preserving it like; human waste should be buried at least 6-8 inches below the ground, waste water should be disposed at least 100feet away from natural water pond or lake etc….
- Bicycling: The best experience is bicycling around in Yellowstone. The officials strongly urge tourists to wear the complete gear before taking off into the park on their Bicycle. They are also supplied with routes or maps to make sure that they have a fair idea of the route. They are also trained on safety tips to be followed of attacked by a bear or caught in any kind of accident. The Bikers/ hikers have separate campsites in different direction of the park so that they can rest, drink and eat if necessary.
- Get a glimpse of an eruption: Old Faithful, the most famous Geyser in world erupts every 90 minutes. It is fun to watch it erupt and make a hole full of smoke and dust. Make sure you get a glimpse of it while you are in the park.
- Wildlife viewing: This is an activity that your entire family would enjoy, make sure you get a glimpse and a picture of the largest collection of free moving wildlife in Yellowstone. People have seen a coyote, grizzly bear, mountain lion etc…a must would be to take a safari in the Yellowstone Park with the luxury of using your own car.
- A trip in Yellowstone Lake: Though it is scary to hear about the Geysers and eruptions etc… It is still wonderful to paddle through the Yellowstone lake as you could get a closer look of the Lakeshore Geysers and also hear some interesting facts about marine life or what’s happening under water?
- Wolf Spotting: To satisfy the hunger for adventures, try Wolf spotting activity without the kids around. Though the wolves have been out of action for some time, they were re-introduced in 1995 and since then they have been attracting a lot of tourists and getting a glimpse of them makes your entire trip even more memorable.
- Fun winters: Though the Park is best enjoyed in summers due to the suitable weather for hiking, cycling etc… Winters are more beautiful as you can see everything over a white blanket of snow due to which the scenic beauty just enhances and can interest you to enjoy it even more. With special discounts and special activities the stay and vacation becomes even more worthwhile.
Just by the word Park in it makes the Yellowstone Park a very interesting and fun to be in Vacation spot for families as where else would both Children and Adults enjoy and bond than a Park.
Orlando is sometimes described as the theme capital of the world. It’s no idle claim. With half a dozen different theme parks, each amazing in attraction and scale, Orlando is the ideal destination for families looking for affordable kid friendly vacation packages.
Top on the list of kid friendly destinations is the Walt Disney World Resort. Spanning over 40 square miles, the Walt Disney Resort is a smorgasbord of non-stop attractions and delights; four different theme parks, an entertainment complex, two water adventure parks and 32 resort hotels among other options. It’s also home to two full-service spas and sports complex ensuring that there is something for everyone in the family. But it’s not just the magic of Disney that makes Orlando a great choice for kid friendly vacations. There’s more. A lot more.
There are half a dozen other kid friendly destinations that you can visit while in Orlando. A popular choice among kid friendly vacations is the SeaWorld Adventure Park. A famous theme park, SeaWorld Orlando is considered to be the ninth most popular park in the country with over 5 million guests visiting it every year. You can visit Aquatica, an expansive water park with dozens of rides, tube slides, family raft rides and games for kids. Also connected to SeaWorld, is Discovery Cove. Another theme park in Orlando where families can enjoy the beach, snorkel at the coral reef and interact with different sea animals such as rays, tropical fish and bottlenose dolphins.
The Universal Orlando Resort is another popular option. The resort is home to theme parks and several hotels and is considered to be the second largest resort in Orlando. You can visit the Resort’s Island of Adventure filled with different unique Islands themed to a different kind of adventure. There’s the Jurassic park Island, the Toon Lagoon and even a Marvel Super Hero Island. Kids will enjoy themselves at the Seus landing and gasp at the 3-D experience of the Amazing Adventures of Spider Man. And for a truly magical experience, stop by the Wizarding World of Harry Porter.
Orlando is a great place to visit to spend time with your family and kids. But there are other places to visit if you wish to strike out on your own or with your spouse. The Harry P. Leu Garden is a popular choice—a tropical botanical park spanning over 50 acres and filled with lakes and amazing landscaped gardens. Another popular choice is the Charles Hosmer Morse Museum of American Art, home of one of the largest collection of art by Louis Tiffany.
A common concern with most families searching for kid friendly vacations is cost. Orlando offers a solution. There are hundreds of accommodation options available at varying prices. Most hotels offer vacation packages during the peak season, designed to give you better value for your buck. Finding the right location for kid friendly vacations can be challenging. But visiting Orlando makes the prospect of having fun easy. Most people would say—a little too easy.
Looking for kid friendly vacations? Try New Orleans. New Orleans is one of the most visited destinations in America. It is estimated that over 10 million people visit the city each year. You’ll find hundreds of hotels and motels available with different family friendly vacation packages that you can take advantage of. The lure of New Orleans lies in its many tourist attractions. There are dozens of places that you can take your family to visit during your holiday. Popular options include;
- The Audubon Zoo: Located within Uptown New Orleans, the Audubon zoo spans 58 acres and is home to as much as 2,000 animals. Some of these include alligators, orangutans, lions and gorillas. The zoo is part of the Audubon Park and is opened all through the year except on public holidays such as Christmas, Thanksgiving and Mardi Gras. You can also visit the Audubon Insectarium and Aquarium where your kids will get the chance to see hundreds of beautiful birds.
- Experience the Mardi Gras: You’re never too young or old to be at a New Orleans’ Mardi Gras. You can schedule your vacation for the annual carnival and experience the color and brilliant sounds. Your kids will love the different parades especially the costumed Pet parade. To get the most out of your vacation, take the time to learn the different parade routes that will be used.
- Tour the Mississippi: Enjoy the scenic beauty along the country’s chief river in cruise. There are different tour options to consider. You can go on a dinner cruise or a harbor cruise. For the best kid friendly vacations, look for cruises that are designed for family. Consider touring the honey Island swamp, located about an hour from New Orleans. Your kids will also love the chance to see some real life alligators in their natural habitat.
- Louisiana Children’s Museum: The Louisiana Children museum is a good place to visit if you wish to give your kids a fun and interactive learning experience. You’ll find special activities such as art projects and book reading. To visit the museum, your kids will have to be younger than 16.
- Soak in the Jazz: During the months of April and May, New Orleans is host to one of the most popular Jazz festivals in the world. There’s an abundance of music styles some of which include Jazz, pop, blues and Cajun music. You don’t need to worry about your kids getting bored. In keeping with its status as one of the best kid friendly vacations, you’ll find special kid tents set up with live stage performance and interactive sessions that will get your kids grinning.
The best time to plan a vacation to New Orleans is in the months of October and April. But there’s never a shortage of festivals or events occurring within the city. Outside the annual Mardi Gras, your visit is likely to coincide with some other family friendly event. You’ll also find affordable lodgings and vacation packages that fit your budget.
With a reputation of never satisfied by going there once, Hawaii is the most sought after vacation spot for many families. The reason being the natural scenery, the native orchids growing alongside the roads, the black lava coves filled with Electric blue waters etc… Makes the place very enticing and a pleasure to be in.
Let’s read about the different places we can visit when in Hawaii:
- O’ahu The Gathering Place: Starting with the highlights of skydiving on the Islands of North shore or travelling in an historic Biplane everything is just something that you wouldn’t miss for the world. A visit to the Hale’iwa town will get you to meet monstrous surfers whose purpose of life is to dare the high tides. Then you can get to the Chinatown where the architecture fascinates you along with the amazing open markets and the herb smells in the air, it is a treat to one and all.
Since these places are Islands, there are really many an options for water related sports. There is something for everyone, as sky diving to surfing to open water dives you name it everything under the sun can be found in this area.
The ancient Heiau temples and historic battle grounds help you dwell into the history of Hawaii and let you taste a bit of the events that took place during the Pearl Harbour in 1941.
- Maui The Valley Isle: This place for a pleasant change is a destination for many a couples to exchange their nuptials or the most pleasant places to get some lone time. Also famous for its Golf courses and a rare experience of getting lifted off in a private Helicopter for a personalized tour of the courses Maui is the place for Golf enthusiasts.
Again being an Island itself, here too you would enjoy the water sports like catching a high wave on surfboard, snorkelling with dolphins and around green turtles etc…. so things like this would not just make you happy but would make the most memorable vacation for your entire family.
- Kaua’i The Garden Isle: The north shore of Kaua’i is known for its pleasant weather where it is more cooler and slight showers on and off makes this place more desirable and popular. With the utmost Aloha spirit, you can enjoy the cooler weather in the North and then enjoy the amazing warm sun in the south. So it’s in this place that you can enjoy a bit of both worlds.
Here you could enjoy amazing theatrical experience, the shopping jaunt in Hanapepe, hiking and many more things are a must try things on this part of the islands.
- Big Island the Orchid Isle: A place where you can witness fiery hot Lava that sometimes collides with the cool sea water and to see the amazing affect. Not just reading about it but as a special and once in a lifetime you can also travel to the area where the lava flows and watch them from front row.
Another attraction is the ocean tour of the sunrise lava where you could get to the coastline and watch the lava meeting the sea showing up like fireworks, smoke and color.
Finally all I would like to say is that if you and your family are adventurous and nature loving people. Who love being around amazing people, amazing nature and indulge all your senses relax and rejuvenate this is the apt place for a fabulous Family vacation.
Known as the vacation of the soul, spending your vacation in Destin Florida is an astounding experience as it is a home for tropical paradise. It is for all those people who would like to take a break from mechanical life and just would like to lay back and sip a cool drink and enjoy the Florida sun.
A few interesting facts and places to visit:
- The sand on Destin’s beaches is the whitest in the world as the sand from the Appalachian Mountains which is made of quartz crystal reaches here which gets finely grounded ad gives the appearance of sugar.
- There is an annual Destin Fishing Rodeo is held which draws a lot of Anglers to Destin. There is also a Destin Seafood Festival that happens every October, where the local artists gather for one weekend and celebrate.
- The Scenic beauty of Destin is that great that many movies have been directed in this location for ex. The Truman Show, Grayton Beach, Florida etc…
- It is not just the scenic beauty; however, even the high rise buildings are very famous. It is a historical thing that the first condominium was built in 1970s. One very interesting fact is that in a year almost 12000 – 40000 balloons are sold during the tourist season.
- Beaches in Destin: The Destin Beaches are the world’s most beautiful beaches due to their shiny sand and colour of the sand. The Crystal clear water makes it very beautiful and happy fishers, surfers, shell collectors etc. This is a place where the tourists are promised sheer enjoyment and indulgence for all people of all ages.
- Destin Area Fishing: Fishing in Destin is outstanding as you would not require a boat to fish in these waters as many species of Sport Fish are found on the Emerald Coast itself.
- Inshore Trolling: The Inshore Trolling is a very interesting way of catching Cobia Fish in Destin. Where first we have to sight the Cobia then the captain of the ship would turn the boat in the direction of the fish and the angler is then expected to throw the bait and the fish is caught. This perhaps is one experience nobody would like to miss especially if they love fishing.
- Destin Gold courses: Destin is also famous for its amazing Golf courses that are widely spread and easily accessible to the tourists.
- There are also many events that take place around the Year, a few coming up are a Valentine’s day special “ Kiss them to the Finish” event, 50 Beach Ultra Marathon etc…
- Weather: The residents of Destin enjoy temperate weather for most parts of the year and also have special seasons where tourists can enjoy the beaches to the maximum because of the lovely weather and low rates. They are also made aware of the precipitation level in that month so that they are prepared for the day out.
Because of it temperate weather and the beautiful Beaches and Serene Environment Destin become one of the choices for Family Vacations.
With the almost perfect weather that can be found in the US, Seattle is one of the top ten choices to spend a family vacation in the US. This is one place where the children would have more things to do than the parents as the city is filled with places for Children entertainment.
Let’s discuss a few of the most famous vacation spot s in Seattle:
- Pacific Science Centre: A museum spread around in 8 buildings is a great learning experience for kids. With amazing I Max theatres, amazing Laser Dome theatres, Butterfly house etc… it’s a place where every kid would find something that they love ranging from exhibits from the Harry Potter series or something from Star Wars.
- Pike Place Market: A place that is apt to find entertainment, dining and shopping etc in one place. This market is famous for its street entertainers called “Buskers” and many eating and drinking places. Also another highlight of this place is that it has bakeries and hotels that date back to 1912 approximately. So in order to experience and taste of culture this is one of the best vacation spot for a day.
- Seattle Children’s theatre: Being the 2nd largest resident theatre for kids in the US, this theatre caters to the younger crowd and has a great reputation. It also serves as a Drama school, theatre training etc to kids.
- Space Needle: Being the landmark of the Northwest region of the US, the Space Needle has become the symbol of Seattle. It has gained its fame as it is has been used as back drop in many famous movies. Tourists are ready to wait for hours together just to ride the elevators and get the top vie in the Needle.
- Woodland Park Zoo: As it had won many Best National Exhibit awards, this Zoo is the most amazing place of having fun in Seattle. It is uniquely name as Zoomazium as it is a zoo and a gymnasium, because of the interactive physical activities sessions that they conduct. Hence it is an amazing vacation spot for both adults and kids.
- Seattle Aquarium: With many exciting exhibits the Seattle Aquarium will help many people fall in love with Marine life. To mention a few of the famous exhibits:
- Window on Washington Waters: It is a huge tank created to give an illusion of coastal waters of Washington with a lot of local marine life like Salmon, Rockfish and different kinds of Jell fish.
- The Crashing wave exhibit: gives you an illusion as if you are amongst a bunch of high waves as it would be near the Washington shores.
- Life of a drifter: visitors can experience the feeling of standing amidst a very beautiful specie of Moon jellies. The 13 foot touch table which help the tourist get a closer view of the drifters like sea stars, plankton etc….
For Art lovers: The Seattle Symphony Orchestra being the world’s most recorded. It is also famous for the 3 most famous Ballet training institutions in the US.
For Music lovers: This is the city is famous for Jazz, Heavy metal bands, smooth Jazz artist Kenny G.
Being blessed with mild amazing temperature, tourists have the luxury of enjoying walking, cycling, hiking etc all around the year. With these and many more attractions Seattle qualifies to be one of the 10 famous family vacation spots in the US.
Planning a family vacation can be difficult especially when you’re searching for reasonably priced vacation packages. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t find great locations for kid friendly vacations. One such example is Yosemite. Yosemite National Park is one of the most visited natural parks in the country. It is famous for its natural beauty and lovely weather for most of the year. Established in 1890, the park is surrounded by amazing sheer granite cliffs and granite monoliths.
Every year thousands of families visit the park, enjoying the spectacular scenery. Many families choose the option of camping on its grounds. You can soak up the view with your family, enjoy guided tour and go on fun hikes. There are different biking and hiking options available. A popular attraction is the Bridalveil fall hike; a 0.5 round trip that takes about 20 minutes. At the center of the hike is the Bridalveil Falls—a 600 foot waterfall with a view that’s always impressive. Depending on the time of day, you may even get to see rainbows trapped in the water’s spray. There are several other longer hikes worth considering. You can go for the Mirror lake 2 mile hike which leads out to a tranquil lake or take the more challenging Vernal fall footbridge hike.
Still riding and hiking aren’t the only things on offer. There are a lot of things to do at the park. For instance you can stop by the Curry village. You’ll find affordable lodgings, bike rentals and grocery store for your needs. Another popular destination is the Yosemite village. Here you can visit the Yosemite museum and learn more about the park. You’ll also find souvenir shops and several different restaurants that you can share with your family.
The Ahwahnee Hotel is available to lodgers. But even if you are not spending the night, the hotel’s elegant design is worth the visit alone. You can also stop by the Yosemite Lodge which is the location of evening programs hosted at their amphitheater. If that wasn’t enough, there’s the prospect of visiting the imposing El Capitan. Standing at 3,600 feet it’s the largest piece of exposed granite in the world. You can take family pictures next to it or get a firsthand take of its size with the use of binoculars.
For a fitting finale, take a visit to the Tunnel view where you’ll enjoy a breath taking scene of most of the valley with the Half Dome, Bridalveil Falls and El Capitain all visible at the same time. There are varying views on the subject but most people agree that the best time to visit Yosemite National Park is in the spring. Planning a vacation at Yosemite is fairly affordable although you’ll need to ensure that you make your reservation in time. You’ll find budget friendly vacation packages at places like the National Park Hotels located within as well as hotels outside the park. You can reduce your cost even further by camping out on the parks many campgrounds.
The top 2nd vacation idea for a family can be going cruising in Alaska. This vacation has recently gained its popularity due to the natural beauty, wildlife and the variety of cultures that come across in Alaska.
They are a few things that you can look forward to when cruising in Alaska:
- Whale Watching: This activity should be a part of your agenda when on the cruise. Though a little expensive to get a little tour it is an experience that you can never forget.
- Mendenhall Glacier: The idea of seeing a Glacier itself is very interesting after all the movies that we watch. This is a definite visit as you get to hike along the trail and read about the Glacier in the Mendenhall Glacier Centre.
- The Macaulay Hatchery: This Hatchery is known for producing 150 million Salmon every year. Here you get to watch the immature and adult Salmon in different times of the year.
- Underground Juneau Gold: Its not just about shore excursions, but in Juneau the capital of Alaska the best excursions are underground where the Gastineau Mill was once the largest Gold producing mill in the world. Wouldn’t it be great to see and experience the history and going back in time?
- Also enjoy the plant, trees and flowers that await you at the Glacier Gardens. You could walk through garden paths and get a glimpse of Mendenhall Valley, Douglas Island, Gastineau Channel and the Chilkat Mountains. A memory well deserved to be photographed.
- Alaskan Brewing Company: Well a treat to the Alcohol lovers, in the Alaskan Brewing Company you could watch the brewing process and are treated with tasting before you end the tour.
- Mount Roberts Tramway: Imagine going 1800 feet above the sea level and watching the sea and the mountain ranges. This is named as the best view in all of Alaska.
- Cruise through the Juneau Harbour in a wooden passenger fitted steam boat while hearing about the gold mining Heyday and enjoy the beauty of the coastal Juneau.
- Another Marine adventure could be taking the water jet from Auke Bay through Stephens’s passage where you could view the summer feeding ground of humpback whales. If lucky you could also get a glimpse of Sea lions, Killer whales and Harbour seals.
- You could hire a Floatplane to carry you over the Alaskan rainforests to the Juneau Ice Fields while getting an aerial view of Norris, Taku, Hole in the wall and East & West twin Glaciers.
- In the Juneau Ice Fields you could land on the Glaciers to enjoy the ice formation and the melt water pools.
- After that thrilling ride in the air, you could enjoy the ancient icescapes and let your pilot guide you along the glacial streams and cliffs. On the way back make sure to get a glimpse of Gastineau Channel to view Alaska’s famous gold mines.
- Other less pricey excursions could be walking around the town and experiencing the local culture or zip lining, railroad rides and dog sledding.
With a rare experience of getting to see, feel and experience the Glaciers and a look at the Wildlife along with the enjoyment in the cruise makes the cruising to Alaska the top 2nd option in Family vacations in the US.
A Ranch is an area that is usually given for grazing different kinds of animals. In the US or especially North America Ranches are commonly found not just for people who take it as profession, however they are also a mode of vacation or a change in life.
A concept like this is very prevalent in the various cities of NA and a community called Dude Ranches help the people to experience the Ranches.
Few things that can help you plan your vacation are:
- You can choose the type of Ranch you would want to rent i.e. Working Ranch/ Guest Ranch/ Lodge/ Cabins
- The different experiences that you can opt for while hiring a Ranch are, you gain an experience of driving cattle while riding on saddle horse. Enjoy and learn to sort and treating livestock. Viewing wildlife, wildflowers and experience a day of a cowboy with addition of living in a house built like one of the Cow boys.
- A list of other activities that come as an option are Fishing, Fly Fishing, Golf, Hiking, Hunting, Indoor games, rock climbing, Skeet Shooting, Swimming, Tennis, White-water rafting.
- A Vacation at the Ranches is basically talking about waking up in the morning to the chirping of Birds that is a rare sight anywhere else in the urban areas. Then you have a variety of choices, can use the programs specially designed for kids of different age group which fun and educational as well while you get to choose the best horse and ride across the Ranch with perfect supervision.
- The evenings vary from dance in the lodge to horse drawn hay ride that is specially made for you or just a quiet time with mother nature soaking yourself in hot water in a tub.
- The Amenities you are supplied with are: a Spa, Sauna, Child care, Bar, a vacation that can be for Adult only or Singles only or for the whole family, hot tub, Indoor pool, Internet, Gift shopping, drinking & smoking is permitted etc…. with so many facilities available it would definitely make sure that you forget all your stress and rejuvenate in your vacation.
- The Idea of this vacation is to live a few days as good as a cowboy/girl and understand the lifestyle. Along with some educational trips into the Wildlife and a trip down the road of Mother Nature.
- People who are anxious to learn Horse riding this would be the best place as it entertain audiences at different levels like beginner/Intermediate/Experience/Professional. They have perfectly trained professional who could also help your children learn riding and simultaneously have fun.
- Not only are the ranches for vacation purposes, you could also plan a few important events if your life here for example, a wedding would be perfect here by just renting out the whole Ranch and using the amazing background and facilities for entertainment, detoxifying and creating a fond memory for the rest of your life.
- This is the place for every that kind of a family which would like to get adventurous, get experimentative and have fun at the same time. The lifestyle there and the facilities available there would let you live your life in a totally different manner from how you have been for as long as your life.
Because of the uniqueness of the facilities and environment etc this becomes a perfect choice for any family vacation as it caters to the need of not just the lazy boy in you but the adventurer in the family, the learner in the family and the nature lover in you and family.