The top 2nd vacation idea for a family can be going cruising in Alaska. This vacation has recently gained its popularity due to the natural beauty, wildlife and the variety of cultures that come across in Alaska.
They are a few things that you can look forward to when cruising in Alaska:
- Whale Watching: This activity should be a part of your agenda when on the cruise. Though a little expensive to get a little tour it is an experience that you can never forget.
- Mendenhall Glacier: The idea of seeing a Glacier itself is very interesting after all the movies that we watch. This is a definite visit as you get to hike along the trail and read about the Glacier in the Mendenhall Glacier Centre.
- The Macaulay Hatchery: This Hatchery is known for producing 150 million Salmon every year. Here you get to watch the immature and adult Salmon in different times of the year.
- Underground Juneau Gold: Its not just about shore excursions, but in Juneau the capital of Alaska the best excursions are underground where the Gastineau Mill was once the largest Gold producing mill in the world. Wouldn’t it be great to see and experience the history and going back in time?
- Also enjoy the plant, trees and flowers that await you at the Glacier Gardens. You could walk through garden paths and get a glimpse of Mendenhall Valley, Douglas Island, Gastineau Channel and the Chilkat Mountains. A memory well deserved to be photographed.
- Alaskan Brewing Company: Well a treat to the Alcohol lovers, in the Alaskan Brewing Company you could watch the brewing process and are treated with tasting before you end the tour.
- Mount Roberts Tramway: Imagine going 1800 feet above the sea level and watching the sea and the mountain ranges. This is named as the best view in all of Alaska.
- Cruise through the Juneau Harbour in a wooden passenger fitted steam boat while hearing about the gold mining Heyday and enjoy the beauty of the coastal Juneau.
- Another Marine adventure could be taking the water jet from Auke Bay through Stephens’s passage where you could view the summer feeding ground of humpback whales. If lucky you could also get a glimpse of Sea lions, Killer whales and Harbour seals.
- You could hire a Floatplane to carry you over the Alaskan rainforests to the Juneau Ice Fields while getting an aerial view of Norris, Taku, Hole in the wall and East & West twin Glaciers.
- In the Juneau Ice Fields you could land on the Glaciers to enjoy the ice formation and the melt water pools.
- After that thrilling ride in the air, you could enjoy the ancient icescapes and let your pilot guide you along the glacial streams and cliffs. On the way back make sure to get a glimpse of Gastineau Channel to view Alaska’s famous gold mines.
- Other less pricey excursions could be walking around the town and experiencing the local culture or zip lining, railroad rides and dog sledding.
With a rare experience of getting to see, feel and experience the Glaciers and a look at the Wildlife along with the enjoyment in the cruise makes the cruising to Alaska the top 2nd option in Family vacations in the US.