Washington DC is the home of the executive, judicial and legislative arm of the government. What could be a better place to consider for kid friendly vacations? A misguided impression that most people have is that Washington is filled with nothing but stuffy politicians who sole obsessions are polls and ratings. None of this is true. At the heart of Washington is a thriving city filled with attractive locations and vacation packages that make it a great choice for a family holiday. There are dozens of things to do during your visit—things that your kids and family will enjoy doing. Some of these include;
- Visit the Smithsonian Museums: Stop by the Smithsonian and watch the eyes of your kids light up as you take them on a history tour that will itself become historical. The large collection of museums is a popular favorite with families. There’s a zero charge admission fee and lots of exciting things to see. Popular places to stop at Smithsonian include the Air and space museum and the Museum of Natural History where you’ll find the kid-friendly Hall of Paleobiology.
- Visit the National Mall: The National Mall is a great place to visit if you wish to while away the time and keep your interest spiked. It spans over a walking distance of 5 miles so be sure to wear comfortable shoes. The National Mall is a popular destination of most tourists and is reportedly visited by over 20 million tourists every year. Be sure to take your camera with you and get some really amazing shots.
- National Zoological Park: Kids go giddy around animals and entry into the National Zoological Park is free. What’s there not to love? Connected to the Smithsonian, the National Zoological Park is a great place to visit if you’re looking for a fun way of spending the afternoon. There are over 2000 different animals within the zoo as well as a couple of children play areas to visit.
- Visit the Lincoln Memorial: Based on its size alone, the Lincoln Memorial is a ‘Larger than Life’ experience that your kids will actually love. Visit the monument of one of the country’s most loved experience and read his famous speeches. The memorial of Honest Abe is visited by millions of people every year. More importantly, admission to the memorial is free, which is a great option for families looking for budget-friendly vacation packages.
- Washington Monument: It’s a pretty popular and distinct landmark so a visit to the Washington Monument is a good way of spending the day with your kids. At one point considered to the tallest structure in the world, you can take a ride to the top of the obelisk and enjoy an impressive view of the surrounding city. Like most monuments across Washington, admission is usually free.
Finding affordable accommodation options at Washington DC is not difficult. There are dozens of hotels with vacation packages that you can consider for your holiday. Washington DC is top on most families list of kid friendly vacations. Be sure to make your reservations early to avoid the season traffic.